Monday, December 22, 2008

Yesterday was a challenge


Concorse A
Originally uploaded by k.l.macke
It was a challenge yesterday....

I dropped my son off at the airport with his mother so they could go to Florida for the next 10 days.

Suffice it to say that as I watched them walk into the airport terminal, my heart did a little flutter.

The fact that it was 6:45 on a Sunday morning, I was half-asleep and had a death-defying drive home probably helped take my mind off it.

It is the first Christmas morning I will not be with my son.

I am determined to keep my emotions in the sweet spot...missing him, as appropriate, but not feeling sorry for myself or wallowing in self-pity.

It is what it is. Being miserable isn't going to help. I have some projects planned, including:

  • Some nice cooking only I will eat. (Last night I made spaghetti Carbonara that was awesome).
  • A photo book project that will force me out of the house.
  • My 2009 planning and goal setting.
  • At least one date.
  • Christmas with my Mother, but resisting her invitations to spend more time there.
  • Some other writing.
  • Some nice cocktails for myself, but to enjoy, not wallow.
  • And, of course, it is bowl season, so lots of football to watch.

We'll see how it goes. One day at a time. The climb continues.

No comments: