Wednesday, September 3, 2008

One of my favorite quotes


One of my favorite quotes is listed to the right....its from a novel (actually three novellas) by a guy named Billy Lee Brammer, called The Gay Place. (No, not that kind of gay!) Its a brilliant political novel that chronicles the lives of journalists and public officials in Austin, Texas, during the 1960's. Its very compelling. I am always shocked at how much people used to DRINK, but, that's not what I'm writing about.

The quote below is said about the Governor of Texas, a Lyndon Johnson, larger than life type character. (Brammer worked for LBJ and as a journalist).

Its about putting an umbrella up instead of cursing the storm, your fate. Its about the difference between being gifted and clever. It gives me strange comfort in stressful times.

And I know that you sometimes need self-analysis and even disillusion. Just as I know that you can't accept everything--if Lewis and Clark accepted everything as it was, the Corps of Discovery would have wasted their lives. But, I think the meter is often wrong. We spend 75% feeling disillusion and 25% running things, where a person at peace might make it like 10% and 90%.

No comments: